Introduction to NFC Tags
An NFC Tag is a regular ISO 14443 card (either a memory card or a microprocessor-based smartcard), holding a specific content (standardized by the NFC Forum
). Depending on this content, the application reading the tag will perform automatically a predefined action. Typical actions are :
- open a URL (Internet address),
- dial a number or send an SMS (if the reader is a mobile phone),
- launch a software,
- etc ...
NFC Tags make it possible to link easily computer-based information to paper sheets or posters, therefore the name SmartPoster.
NFC Forum is the organisation in charge of NFC standardization, it consists of over 140 members (silicon and phone manufacturers, applications developers, payment schemes, mobile operators, ...) Promotes the development of products using NFC technologies Educates consumers and companies globally about NFC.
NFC Forum has developped a set of specifications based on the ISO standards, that define :
- a modular architecture for NFC applications
- interoperability parameters for NFC protocols and devices
- a certification program to ensure that products labelled NFC-Forum will actually be interoperable
NFC Forum décrit 3 modes de fonctionnements pour un objet NFC:
- Card Mode : this is the normal and only mode for a contactless card -including for a NFC Tag. Also phones or smartphones replacing a payment or public-transport card operate in Card Mode as they emulate regular smart cards,
- Reader Mode : this is the mode for all SpringCard readers/writers. This mode allows to read (and write) Cards, NFC Tags, as well as smartphones running in card emulation mode,
- Peer-to-peer Mode : this mode makes it possible for two devices to communicate in both directions. This is typically the case between two smartphones, or between a smartphone and one of the SpringCard couplers being able to to run in peer-to-peer mode.
Tags NFC with SpringCard readers/writers
SpringCard couplers are NFC devices running in Reader Mode. Take a look at the list of our readers to find out which one is the most suited to your project.
The readers we've added to our portforlio recently do support all families of NFC Forum Tags (types 1, 2, 3 and 4), where the readers developed earlier don't support Type 3 (Tags based on Sony Felica Lite chip).
NFC Tags Tool software
The NFC Tags Tool is the easiest solution to create Tags compliant with NFC Forum specifications on Windows. It is also able to read existing Tags, either to discover their content or just to test an earlier writing.
NFC Tags Tool software is included in the SpringCard QuickStart for PC/SC. Download and install this QuickStart package to get NFC Tags Tool.
The software's source code is made fully available within the SpringCard SDK for PC/SC.
NFCWizard is a free web-based online service, created by SpringCard. Thanks to a Java applet, NFCWizard makes it possible to read and write SmartPoster or vCard tags directly within your web browser !
Discover NFCWizard right now
NFC Tags-related APIs in SpringCard SDK for PC/SC